At Mazars we have a wide range of opportunities for you to gain experience in a firm that truly cares about your aspirations. Our business is an engine for rapid and consistent career progression, and we are known for giving ambitious people early responsibility and exposure.
Are you a school leaver with a keen attention to detail? Do you enjoy working with lots of different types of people and have a commitment to further learning? This is a great opportunity to join a team that specialises in providing expert tax advice to clients within a wide range of industries.
About the role:
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
You will be supporting the team on the delivery of high quality compliance and advisory VAT services to clients. You will work with a broad range of clients, covering several sectors – including multinational businesses, international and UK listed and private companies, central and local government, not for profit organisations and financial institutions.
During your first three years you will:
- Support with the provision of high quality VAT compliance on a portfolio of clients;
- Support the senior VAT Team by researching VAT technical questions, plus background information and useful publications;
- Assist the senior team members to develop the business and to seek new fee-earning opportunities within the Mazars client base and externally;
- Support the VAT Team with preparation of VAT return calculations;
- Be involved in written and verbal communications with HMRC;
- Communicate with the VAT Team on any issues or findings; and
- Develop and apply technical knowledge gained from studies and on the job experience.
By the end of your third year you will:
- Aid with the management of a portfolio of clients, including acting as one of the main points of contact for the clients and liaising with other advisors;
- Develop the VAT service offering by using advisory skills in assisting on a wide range of projects and sectors;
- Assist the Manager to develop the business and to seek new opportunities both within Mazars and externally;
- Support senior management on VAT planning and other ad hoc projects;
- Advise clients and partners about VAT, including changes to legislation and practice;
- Manage the successful delivery of VAT projects, ensuring technical excellence and practical/business driven approach is taken;
- Liaise and negotiate with HMRC on behalf of clients;
- Proactively manage existing clients to identify and win new work assignments; and
- Build and maintain strong relationships with clients and provide high levels of client service.
About the team
Overview of the Tax service line
At Mazars we'll help you build on your expertise, experience and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our national tax team.
We provide bespoke advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position whether they are an individual, a business owner or a corporate organisation. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on employment, corporate profits or gains, movements of individuals or businesses from one country to another, international transactions or on personal income, gains or wealth.
An introduction to our Indirect Tax team:
Mazars helps businesses plan for VAT before setting out on a new venture including setting up overseas, buying or selling a property or raising finances. Our experienced team addresses compliance issues proactively to help clients avoid penalties, as well as the impact of transactions on other areas of the business like audit and direct tax.
We are looking for exceptional candidates to join our team who demonstrate the following:
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
- Teamwork; the ability to function and contribute effectively as part of a high achieving team.
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
Mazars & me: who are we?
Mazars is a leading international professional services firm delivering exceptional quality in audit, tax, financial advisory, outsourcing and consulting. It's also a fun, fast-paced, positive place to work and make friends.
At Mazars, we celebrate individuality and thrive on teamwork. We give people the freedom to make a personal contribution to our shared purpose. We support one another to deliver quality, create change and make an impact. So that everyone can reach their full potential.
Every story is different at Mazars. Our people have amazing, personal experiences so the best way to learn about life here is to hear it first hand from them.
Learning and development
We offer a diverse range of experiences, with prestigious clients and dynamic projects across a range of sectors and geographies. We offer an excellent technical grounding and real responsibility from the start, with early exposure to clients and partners. We have a culture of coaching, feedback, mentorship and one-to-one support, so you will learn from working closely with accessible colleagues and leaders who have so much to share. Most importantly, we give our people the tools and support they need to define their own career path and realise their full potential. As part of your training, we offer the opportunity to gain a professional qualification whilst earning a competitive salary and gaining invaluable experience.
This includes funding, time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training. We will fund your study towards the combined ATT/CTA qualification.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. And you will be allocated a buddy who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
Inclusion and diversity
Being inclusive is core to our culture at Mazars; we want to ensure everyone, whether in the recruitment process or beyond, is fully supported to be their unique self and provided with a level playing field. To read more about our approach click here.
At Mazars, we are one diverse, multicultural, multi-generational team with a huge sense of connection and belonging. If you are looking to join a firm where you can take ownership of your career, get involved, believe in yourself and put your ideas into action, then we think you will be a great addition to our team.
Roles will be closed as soon as we find the right people, so to avoid disappointment we encourage you to submit your application as soon as possible.
International applications – Please note that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for school leaver apprentice programmes.
- Annual Leave +
- Charitable Giving
- Dental Insurance
- Wellbeing Benefits
- Virtual GP
- Cycle to Work
- Gym Discounts
- Life Assurance
- Flexible Benefits +
If you are interested in a career in professional services, we can offer you an exciting head start by joining one of our trainee schemes for school or college leavers.
Sign up for job alerts - its free